Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Nothing in particular.....

     So, this is my first post of the new year and I don't have anything earth shattering to say; no big, spiritual revelations of any kind or any earth-shattering improvements made by Reece-man.  I decided, though, that I really oughtta blog more often, because what's the point of having a blog if you never write on it?  I love reading other people's blogs and it gets irritating when they only update once in awhile, yet I find myself doing the same thing :-)
     As for our new year, the first 4 days have been pretty quiet, although, I think we need another break to recover from Christmas break!  Reece started back at school today, so the girls and I started back into our school routine.  Everyone did fine.
     I don't make any concrete New Year's resolutions anymore.  I used to all the time.  When I was a teenager, I would write them down and post them somewhere.  Sometimes I'd follow through, but more often than not, things would slip.  At some point, I quit making resolutions and really just starting thinking about things I'd like to improve or accomplish and how I might go about making that happen, but without making a list.  It's much easier that way- less guilt when things slip!
     So, a few of my general thoughts are:  I'd like to start running again.  My mom, who started running at age 50, just ran her fist 5K last week.  Makes me feel totally lazy :-)  I mean, I'm only 31, so why couldn't I do that? I use to run, back in the day, and I've always liked it, but once the twins came along, I never felt like I had time.  And, I'm blessed to be one of those people with an awesome metabolism, so the baby weight melted off without any work on my part, which contributed to my laziness and list of excuses.  So, come warmer weather (I canNOT run in cold weather- remnants from childhood asthma or something that make it hard for me to breath) I'm going to start running....
     Another thing I'm working on is improving my housekeeping skills.  I'm not super organized and I'm just flat out lazy (a recurring theme in my life, it seems, huh?).  I read a book called "Large Family Logistics" and even though I don't have 9 kids (although I wish I did and I'm very jealous of women who can be pregnant without life-threatening complications!), the author still has lots of good ideas for managing a busy household and homeschooling.  I've decided that, even though my kids have chores, I've been letting them off too easy and that they could do a LOT more to help me out!  We started our new routine a few weeks ago, and other than a short derailment during the busy Christmas season, it's been awesome!  And my girls are learning some great home-managing techniques that they can apply to their own families someday.  I  had no such skills when I got married (I was a total tomboy and Daddy's girl, so I was trained to farm, not keep house!) and it's been a huge hindrance to me.  That, and being flat-out lazy.... have I mentioned that, yet?  *wink, wink*
     Then, my other goals are to write more (my dream is to publish a book someday) and to garden bigger (someday I want to be almost completely self-sufficient in the food department) and to pay off our mortgages (yes, we own two houses). 
     My other big, important goal that we also started a few weeks ago, is to read the Bible with the kiddos more often.  Sure, they know all the major Bible stories frontwards and backwards, but we haven't done nearly enough memorization and I want them to know the BIBLE, not just the stories.  So, we've been reading a Proverbs, a Psalms and a chapter in the New Testament first thing in the mornings.  That got derailed during Christmas, too, but now that we're back into our normal routine, we're getting back on track.
     But, that's enough about me.... Reece is finally asleep, so it's time for me to head back upstairs and do.... something....  maybe start that book I want published someday???  :-)  Good-night!

No comments:

Post a Comment