Friday, January 14, 2011

Passing on My Childhood

     Jeff always teases me that I'm trying to recreate my childhood with our kids, and maybe he's right.  For some reason, I think my childhood was magical.  My siblings seem to have the same opinion as the spouse-in-laws agree with Jeff and think there needs to be a support group for everyone that marries into the family :-)

     One thing, though, that was a no-brainer for Jeff and me was to pass along a love for this:





     When we were first married, the Dukes of Hazzard was on cable at 2 am.  Jeff worked 2nd for a very short period of time, and when he'd come home from work, we'd watch the Dukes.  Later, the seasons came out on DVD.  I bought Jeff one for Christmas when the twins were babies.  We actually considered naming Elisa "Daisy"!  That's how much we love the Dukes :-)
     I remember watching them every week as a kid.  My backpack from kindergarten was pink and had Bo and Luke's picture on it and said "I love Bo and Luke."  I wanted to marry Bo someday and I use to snatch some of Mom's high-heeled sandals and wear cut-offs and pretend to be Daisy.
     Jeff grew up be just as enamored with the show, although, he didn't realize Daisy was hot until about puberty.
     So, after we started getting the DVD's, a Donley tradition was born.  Friday nights became breadsticks and Dukes nights.  Our kids love this show as much as we do and, other than Daisy's short "Daisy Duke" shorts, it's really pretty clean.  I never realized how much the girls liked it, though, until I overheard this the other night:

Lindy:  "He's sooooo handsome!"
Elisa:  "Yes, he is!  That's Bo and I think he's handsome, too!"

Aw, yes, my girls will look back on their childhood and remember a love for the Dukes, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment